Preparing vegetarian balls needs time. During my cooking classes I hear many people who declare that they do not have time to stay in the kitchen; but I am sure, they could find it 😉 The real problem is that we give priority to other activities that are often not so important for our lives. If we really feel that cooking something, for us or our family, with high quality food is a good habit, we can create moments to do it. For these long preparations, you can, for example, organize cooking evenings with some friends, sharing the shopping, and making a lots of tasty balls for everyone. It can be a way to spend pleasant hours together and do something useful: you can then freeze your balls and create a good food supply. Here is the recipe for potato and spinach vegetarian balls … I hope you enjoy it 😉
Ingredients (for about 45 balls):
- 4 medium boiled red potatoes
- spinaches 500 g
- parmesan cheese 30 g
- bread crumbs q.s.
- 3 eggs
- salt q.s.
- nutmeg q.s.
- oil to fry q.s.
- Mash the potatoes as if to make a purée.
- Wash and boil the spinach; squeeze them well and sauté in a pan with a clove of garlic and a spoon of extra virgin olive oil to flavor and dry them well; salt them to taste.
- In a bowl mix the potatoes, the spinach, an egg, the Parmesan cheese, salt, nutmeg and breadcrumbs to obtain a non-sticky dough.
- With an ice cream spoon, take about 45 portions of the dough and place them on a tray.
- With your hands shape the portions, creating balls of the same size.
- Now prepare a bowl with two beaten eggs and one with the breadcrumbs.
- Dip the croquettes in the egg and then in the breadcrumbs.
- Pre-heat the oil for frying in a saucepan; when, by dipping a wooden toothpick, you will see bubbles forming on its surface, you can begin to fry your balls.
- Fry them for about a minute; serve warm with a fresh salad and a vegan mayonnaise .