I have a beautiful memory of when I was a little girl and me and my family went to the mountains for the winter holidays; on the way back, we always used to stop in a small place in Trentino, and in particular in a pastry bakery. It was like a ritual: my mother always bought some apple strudel and, for her little girl, the carrot cake … I was delighted, because is one of those desserts I prefere. Today, also my daughter likes it very much and I use to prepare it in a sugar-free variant. In this recipe I’m sharing with you, I’ve used hazelnuts instead of almonds and added fresh ginger. Furthermore you’ll see it in a muffin version … nice aren’t they? 😉
- semi whole spelt flour 10 oz
- hazelnuts 3 oz
- corn syrup 9 oz
- 3 eggs
- carrots 10 oz
- extra virgin olive oil 3,5 oz
- bakin powder 0.5 oz
- ginger root 2 inches
- Using a mixer, grind hazelnuts and add them to the spelt flour and the bakin powder.
- Mince carrots and grate the ginger; add them to the dry ingredients.
- Beat eggs with the corn syrup.
- Put together the fluids with the dry ingredients and add extra virgin olive oil; mix until reached a uniform mixture.
- Preheat oven at 356F static.
- Fill the moulds and cook for 20 minutes static; then switch into fan oven mode and cook for another 10 minutes.