It ‘s time for artichokes and there are many ways to prepare them: it will be very interesting to learn how to use all the parts. For example, the outer hard leaves can be used to prepare a decoction or a vegetable broth; forthermore the stems, boiled and blended, to prepare a good risotto. Give space to your creativity and have fun cooking artichokes in different ways. Meanwhile, I invite you to try this very simple and tasty recipe: artichokes au gratin ☺
Ingredients (for 2 people):
- 4 artichokes
- 4 tablespoons of bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons of grated matured sheep cheese
- 1 tablespoon of minced almonds
- fresh rosemary q.s.
- fresh thyme q.s.
- 3 lemons
- extra virgin olive oil q.s.
- salt q.s.
- Clean artichokes removing a part of the stems and the hardest outer leaves; do not be afraid to remove too many leaves … you have to reach the heart of the artichoke (with stems and discarded leaves you can prepare a decoction or a vegetable broth to cook a risotto);
- Proceed removing the tip and peeling the remaining stem;
- Cut artichokes in two parts to remove the fuzzy center;
- Put artichokes in water and lemon juice;
- In a large pan bring to a boil the water and add some salt; wash artichokes and cook them for about 15-20 minutes;
- Make a mixture of bread crumbs, almonds and cheese; add some minced thyme and rosemary leaves and season with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil;
- When artichokes are boiled, drain and season them with a tablespoon of oil and a pinch of salt;
- Lay them on a baking pan and cover with the gratin filling;
- Preheat oven at 392 F and cook artichokes for another 20 minutes;
- Serve them warm and enjoy 😉