Here’s another idea to taste artichokes in this time of the year: a nice risotto, with a cream made with stems and flavored with oil, salt and a pinch of ginger powder. Finally,you can enjoy this vegan recipe, with a sprinkling of minced toasted almonds and some roasted artichoke. ☺
Ingredients (for 4 people):
- semi whole Balilla rice 7 oz
- 4 artichokes
- a quarter of onion
- 1 glass white wine
- 4 coffee spoons of toasted almonds (minced)
- 1 pinch of ginger powder
- extra virgin olive oil q.s.
- salt q.s.
- vegetable broth q.s.
- Wash the artichokes. Start with the stalks: after peeling, cook them in boiling water for about 15 minutes; blend with some olive oil, a pinch of salt and ginger powder; you will use it to cream risotto at the end of cooking.
- Prepare a bowl with water and lemon juice; keep cleaning the artichokes by removing the outer leaves; proceed removing the tip; cut them in two parts and remove the fuzzy center and the sharpest inner leaves; put in the bowl with the acidulated water (in this link you can find out how to clean artichokes in details: http://www.gustovegetariano.com/en/artichokes-au-gratin/ ).
- Wash and cut them in thin slices.
- Mince the onion and let it sweat in a saucepan.
- Add the artichokes (keeping aside a little).
- Add the rice and let it toast for two minutes.
- Add the glass of wine and let it simmer until reduced.
- Cover with the broth and cook slowly, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile season the artichokes, kept aside, with some olive oil and a pinch of salt; toast them under the grill.
- When the rice is cooked, add the stems cream.
- Serve with some toasted artichoke and a sprinkling of almonds.