Flans are always very elegant and attractive; they can be a nice appetizer or a light side dish, especially if you mix classical ingredients (like eggs and cheese) with some lighter ones; in this case I’ve used soy cream instead of fresh cream. Flans can be served in different kind of ways: here is a delicious version with a velvet carrot and curcuma cream.
Ingredients (for 4 muffin tins):
for the flans:
- 1 bunch of chards (about 21oz)
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons of parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons of soy cream
- 1 coffee spoon of salt
- 6 basil leaves
fro the cream:
- 2 carrots
- 1 coffeespoon of salt
- 1 coffeespoon of curcuma
- extra virgin olive oil (q.s. to obtain a velvet cream)
- Cook the chards in hot water for 10 min.
- Cool in cold water and sqeeze them; chop up and sauté in a pan with one clove of garlic and 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.
- Now blend all together chards, eggs, cheese, soy cream, salt and basil leaves.
- Preheat oven at 300F.
- Stain with oil four flan moulds (muffin tins) and fill them as in the picture.
- Cook baine-marie for about 20 min.
- Now prepare the carrot cream: wash and peel carrots and slice them thin; steam for 10 min.
- Blend all together carrots, salt, curcuma and some extra virgin olive oil till obtain a velvet cream.
- Serve flans on this delicious coloured cream.